Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- milk - as needed
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- egg whites or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; mix well.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small peas.
- Break the egg into a 1-cup measure and add milk to make 2/3 cup. Add the milk, egg and chocolate morsels to the flour mixture and combine lightly until a loose ball is formed. A light hand makes for a light scone.
- Hand knead the mixture in the bowl 5 to 10 times and then break into 2 equal portions.
- Press down each ball on an ungreased cookie sheet to form a 6-inch disc.
- Score each disc into 6 wedges.
- Brush with a wash of egg whites or heavy cream.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.