Part time hacker, full time dad.
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1 onion
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1½ Tbsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 cups white vinegar
- Thinly slice cucumber. I prefer a mandonline with the thinnest slicer. Slice the onion more thickly into rings. They are easier to remove for burgers or salads that way.
- Mix the vinegar and sugar in a sauce pan. If it doesn't all dissolve, warm on low and stir until dissolved.
- In a large container with a lid mix the liquid and seasoning. Traditionally we use an ice cream bucket, but I also use prezel containers.
- Add the cucumber and onion and stir.
- Refrigerate at least overnight. The flavor will improve over time.
- Once the pickles are gone, you can re-use the liquid one more time, simply add more cucumbers.
Adapated from Olivia's Aunt Colleen.